Thursday 12 August 2010

Trouble with the unions

Oona King’s campaign is in trouble with London trade unions today after comments reportedly made to a Total Politics journalist by a team member at her party last night.
"The problem with the trade-union system is that it is rather outdated," replied one person on Oona's team. He continued: "Unions don't really do anything except give money... I shouldn't say that."

The story has been challenged on Twitter today by Team Oona, but Total Politics is standing firm. Jess Freeman has added this further post:
“To just confirm my journalistic integrity and that of Total Politics, I will confront any criticisms right now. I have not misquoted a team member, I did not mishear and nor am I blatantly lying. And, to clarify, to assume that I can forget two brief lines about trade unions is a little bit rich. In fact, I held sustained conversations about unions all night.”
 
Oona King’s campaign has previously raised the issue of the role of the trade unions in the selection for Labour’s candidate for mayor. Jim Fitzpatrick MP, who is chair of Oona’s campaign, proposed the removal of the trade union section in a letter to the general secretary Ray Collins, as one of two alternatives to the current selection system.

No comments:

Post a Comment

avandia class action